Codes + Zoning

Building and Zoning Information

The Borough would like to remind residents and property owners that permits are required to repair, construct, enlarge, alter, or demolish a building or structure; change the use or occupancy of a building or structure requiring greater strength, exit, or sanitary provisions; or to install or alter any plumbing, electrical, mechanical equipment or systems. In accordance with Act 45 as mandated by the state of Pennsylvania, Highspire Borough has passed an ordinance adopting the Uniform Construction Code (UCC) as the standard for building, construction, remodeling, and repairs.

The following is a quick list of items requiring a permit. Other items may be included which are not listed. Please check with the Codes/Zoning Department before beginning any work.

New ConstructionSidewalks / DrivewaysWood / Coal / Pellet Stoves
Decks & PatiosShedsChimneys
RoofingRemodelingAccessory Structures
Additions / Alterations of Electric or PlumbingAdditions / Alterations of Structures Swimming Pools capable of holding 24" or more of water

**As a reminder; all contractors who perform more than $5,000 of work each year must register their business or themselves with the Pennsylvania Attorney Generals Office.

The intent of the Borough’s Building Codes and Zoning laws are to ensure public safety, health, and welfare. An application for a permit is to be filed with the Code Enforcement Officer and no work shall commence until a permit is issued.

Code Enforcement

The Borough of Highspire adopts codes that serve to promote and protect the general health, safety, and welfare of our community and residents. Buildings and other property in the Borough are subject to rules that follow certain standards.

Grass / Weed Ordinance

Please be reminded that no grass, weeds, or any vegetation whatsoever, not edible or planted for some useful or ornamental purpose is to exceed 10 inches in height. Any grass, weeds, or other vegetation growing upon any premises in the Borough in violation of any of the provisions of this section is declared to be a nuisance and detrimental to the health, safety, cleanliness, and comfort of the inhabitants of the Borough. Both the owner and/or the occupant shall remove, trim, or cut all grass, weeds, or other vegetation growing or remaining upon such premises in violation of the provisions of this chapter. Violations may result in a fine of up to $1,000 and/or imprisonment for a term not to exceed ninety days. Every day that a violation of this chapter continues shall constitute a separate offense.

Landlord Tenant Information

In accordance with Ordinance 314, Chapter 13, Part 5, “All landlords in the Borough of Highspire shall, within 30 days of any change in the tenancy or occupancy of any unit, parcel, or portion of real estate, file with the Borough, in writing, a report specifying the unit, parcel, or portion of real estate in which the change of tenancy or occupancy has occurred, the name or names of the tenants or occupants previously report for such unit, parcel, or portion, and name or names of any new tenants or occupants of said unit, parcel, or portion.”

Rental Dwelling Inspection Ordinance

In accordance with Ordinance 582, Chapter 10, Part 1, the Borough of Highspire requires all non-owner-occupied dwellings or residential rental dwelling units to be inspected every six (6) years. Click here to read the Rental Dwelling Inspection Ordinance.

Sign Permits

Sign permits are required to post any sign within the Borough.

Snow Removal

It is the homeowner or renters responsibility to make sure that the sidewalks and walkways are clear of any snow or ice that may accumulate. Walkways must be cleared within 24 hours of the snowstorm ending. Failure to do so will result in a $25.00 to $300.00 fine being issued against you. Placing garbage cans or chairs to save parking spaces is prohibited in the Borough. This activity is subject to cost, fines, and loss of items.

More Ordinances

Click here for a complete listing of the zoning and subdivision and land redevelopment ordinances.

Permit Applications

Copies of permit applications are available by clicking on the appropriate link. Applications must be filled out in their entirety. A Workers Compensation form must be submitted with all permit applications.

There may be other forms, that are not available online, that are required to be filled out. Please check with the Codes/Zoning Office.